Tips for Maintaining Your Invisalign Aligners
Are you one of the millions of people who have chosen Invisalign as their preferred teeth straightening method? Congratulations! You’ve made a wise decision. But, did you know that proper maintenance and care for your aligners is crucial to achieving optimal results and keeping them looking clear and new? If you want to ensure your Invisalign journey is smooth sailing from start to finish, keep reading because we’ve got some amazing tips on how to maintain your aligners like a pro!
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a clear alternative to metal braces that uses a series of custom-made, nearly invisible aligners to move your teeth. Because they are nearly invisible, most people won’t even know you’re wearing them. And, unlike metal braces, you can remove your Invisalign aligners to eat and drink what you want and brush and floss normally. You will visit your doctor about once every six weeks to ensure that your treatment is progressing as planned.
As you begin your journey with Invisalign, there are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure that you get the most out of your treatment. Here are a few tips for maintaining your Invisalign aligners:
- Keep them clean: Just like your teeth, it’s important to keep your Invisalign aligners clean. Be sure to brush them with a soft-bristled toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste at least once a day. You can also soak them in denture cleaner or mild soap overnight.
- Handle them with care: Your Invisalign aligners are delicate so be sure to handle them with care. When removing them, be sure to use both hands and pull from the back teeth forward. To put them back in place, start from the front teeth and push gently until they snap into place.
Benefits of Invisalign
There are many benefits to Invisalign that make it a popular choice for those looking to straighten their teeth. Perhaps the most obvious benefit is that Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible, so no one will be able to tell that you’re wearing them unless you tell them. This is in contrast to traditional braces, which can be quite noticeable.
In addition to being more aesthetically pleasing, Invisalign aligners are also removable, so you can take them out when you eat or drink and brush and floss your teeth as normal. You’ll also need to clean your aligners regularly to keep them free of bacteria. With traditional braces, it can be difficult to keep your teeth clean due to the brackets and wires, which can trap food and plaque.
Finally, Invisalign treatment is typically shorter than treatment with traditional braces, so you’ll be able to achieve your desired results in less time.
Tips for Maintaining Your Invisalign Aligners
- Rinse your aligners with lukewarm water before putting them in each day.
- Brush your teeth before putting your aligners in. This will help remove any food particles that could get trapped between your teeth and the aligners.
- Be sure to clean your aligners nightly with the Invisalign cleaning kit. This will help keep them free of bacteria and other build-ups.
- If you eat or drink anything other than water while wearing your aligners, be sure to brush your teeth and rinse your mouth (and aligners) afterward.
- Try to avoid eating sticky or hard foods while wearing your aligners, as they can cause damage or breakage.
- When not in use, store your aligners in the provided case to keep them clean and protected from damage.
Few tips for wearing your Invisalign aligners as directed:
- Put them in first thing in the morning: As soon as you wake up, pop in your aligners. This way, you won’t forget to put them back in later on in the day.
- Only take them out when eating or drinking: It’s tempting to take out your aligners every time you have a snack or drink, but this can quickly add up and extend the length of your treatment. So unless you’re eating or drinking something that could potentially damage your aligners (like coffee or soda), try to keep them in as much as possible.
- Brush and floss before putting them back in: After eating or drinking, give your teeth a good brush and floss before putting your aligners back in. This will help remove any food particles or debris that could get stuck under your aligners and cause cavities or other oral health problems down the road.
Maintaining your Invisalign aligners is essential for the proper care of your teeth and overall oral health. Following these tips will ensure that you are able to keep your aligners functioning correctly so that you can reap the full benefits of this great orthodontic treatment. With a little extra effort, you’ll be well on your way to achieving that perfect smile in no time!
How do I clean my Invisalign aligners?
To clean your Invisalign aligners, simply brush them with a soft-bristled toothbrush and mild soap. Rinse them thoroughly and dry them with a lint-free cloth before putting them back in your mouth.
How often should I clean my Invisalign aligners?
No, you should not use regular toothpaste to clean your Invisalign aligners. Regular toothpaste is abrasive and can damage the clear plastic of the aligners. Instead, use a mild soap or a special Invisalign cleaning kit that is designed for cleaning clear plastic appliances.
What should I do if my Invisalign aligners get lost or damaged?
If you lose an Invisalign aligner, contact your orthodontist right away so that they can order a replacement for you. If an aligner becomes damaged, try to repair it with dental wax or ask your orthodontist for advice on how to proceed.